Wednesday, February 7, 2018

[Full Journey] Howrah to Puri Trip via 18409 Sri Jagannath Express!!

Sri Jagannath Express being shunted to PF-23 at HWH | © Soumo's Railways
This blog post will continue to be updated in the next few days. Since this is supposed to be a detailed travelogue, and I am trying to write it through my busy work schedule, I might take some time to fully finish it. I invite you to bookmark this post and return again for more updates and pictures. The video link is shared below which can be followed in the meantime.

I, along with my family had been to the temple town of Puri in the state of Odisha for a vacation. We started on 19th January, 2018 from the Howrah Junction and our ticket was on the the 18409 Sri Jagannath Express. Our train was hauled by a SRC Santragachi WAP4 (no 22504) for the whole journey from Howrah to Puri.

Santragachi East Lake | © Soumo's Railways
This is my first attempt to make a complete journey compilation. However I made another journey compilation before of a short journey from Santragachi junction to Shalimar railway station (click here for the SRC-SHM journey video), but that I am reluctant to match that with the stature of this one. This compilation journey to Puri is made with whatever footage that I could manage. There were several difficulties.

Note that not all stations are covered in this video. Big misses are the Kharagpur Junction, Cuttack, Balasore, etc.

Mecheda station | © Soumo's Railways
We were travelling in the sleeper class and everyone was asking to close windows in that mid-January cold night. Doors were also kept closed for obvious reasons and I did not argue about keeping them open.

Bhubaneswar Railway Station | © Soumo's Railways
Travelling with elderly members also slows you down and makes things difficult. Especially when you get to hear constant warnings about not to use camera on the moving train, which obviously a railfan ignores somewhat religiously. We definitely try to be safe, and there should be self note for being safe in future trips.

I have intentionally kept the video a bit lengthy and extensive for the purpose of archiving the same for the future. I mean I want to keep the whole journey archived on my YouTube channel . However I hope the compilation will be an interesting watch. I recommend watching it on a big screen for better experience.

Find the whole journey compilation video here:


Khurda Road Jn | © Soumo's Railways
We returned home to Howrah on January 24th morning. We took the 22836 Puri Shalimar SF Express which you have frequently read about in my blog. It is our favourite train and I also made a video of that journey. I shall share the same later on and will link the post here as well.

Here is the RF Data for the journey from Howrah to Puri:
Dates of Journey: January 19 to 20, 2018
Journey via Zones:
- Howrah Station: Eastern Railway & SER-SouthEastern Railway
- South Eastern Railway
- East Coast Railway
Train: 18409 Sri Jagannath Express
Route: HWH-Howrah Station to PURI-Puri railway Station.
We arrived at Puri Station, this was the loco | © Soumo's Railways
Locomotive: SRC-Santragachi WAP4 (no. 22504).
Loco Shed: SRC-Santragachi
Loco Zone: SER-South Eastern Railway

Thanks for stopping by. As always, corrections, comments, suggestions new ideas, travel tips (or anything) are very much welcome and appreciated.

© Soumo's Railways | Do connect with #SoumosRailways 
on YouTubeFacebookTwitterBlogger and Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment